Application deadline: 14-06-2023 to 28-06-2023
Duration: 12 months renewable until the end of the CEI-Iscte programme project UIDP/03122/2020
The Centre for International Studies (CEI-Iscte) of Iscte – University Institute of Lisbon is accepting applications for 1 (one) Research Fellowship for a PhD Student, in the area of International Studies or similar, aligned with the CEI-Iscte regional line “Middle East and North Africa”, under the FCT ‘Regulamento de Bolsas de Investigação’ (RBI) and the ‘Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação’ (EBI).
The grant will be funded by the Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT) under the framework of the Programmatic Pluriannual Funding, with the reference UIDP/03122/2020.
You can see the full document here.
Submission of applications
The call is open from 14 June to 28 June 2023 (11.59 p.m. Lisbon time).
Applications and supporting documents must be submitted by e-mail to recruitment.cei@iscte-
iul.pt with the subject: BI_PROGMENA_[name of the applicant].
Each candidate may submit only one application, under penalty of cancellation of all
False statements or plagiarism submitted by the candidates will lead to the cancellation of the application, without prejudice to the adoption of other sanctioning measures.
2. TYPE AND DURATION OF THE GRANT
In accordance with numbers 1 and 2 of Article 6 of the FCT Research Grant Regulation, the Research Grant (BI) is intended for the conduction of R&D activities by students enrolled in a doctoral programme, aimed at consolidating their scientific training through the development of research and that leads to the award of the respective academic degree, integrated or not in R&D projects, or for the conduct of R&D activities by master students who are enrolled in courses that do not confer an academic degree integrated in the educational project of Iscte.
The grant will have a duration of 12 months, starting in July 2023. The grant contract may be renewed until the end of the programmatic project (UIDP/03122/2020) of CEI-Iscte.
3. WORK PLAN AND SCIENTIFIC ORIENTATION OF THE FELLOWSHIP
Development of scientific research and support to the implementation of the CEI-Iscte strategic project, particularly in its thematic lines Institutions, Governance and International Relations, Social and Development Challenges, Economy and Globalisation, within the framework of the “Middle East and North Africa” CEI-Iscte regional line.
The activities include strengthening the external dissemination of the strategic project, the organisation of events associated with the project, including the Middle East and North Africa Seminar Cycle, as well as supporting the organisation of the CEI-Iscte annual conference, supporting scientific data collection and paper preparation.
The work will be carried out at the Centre for International Studies of the Iscte – University Institute of Lisbon, under the scientific supervision of Professor Ana Mónica Fonseca and Doctor Giulia Daniele.
4.1. Requirements for Admissibility of the candidates
The following are eligible to apply to this call for proposals
- National citizens or citizens from other Member States of the European Union;
- Non-EU citizens;
- Stateless persons;
- Citizens benefiting from the status of political refugee.
To apply for a PhD Research Fellowship, it is necessary:
- Hold a degree or master’s degree in the areas of social sciences, political sciences, and related fields.
- Be enrolled in a doctoral programme or in a course integrated in the Iscte’s educational project;
- Be interested or demonstrate research experience in the above-mentioned social science areas, within the regional line contemplated in the CEI-Iscte strategic plan: Middle East and North Africa.
- Proven experience in organising events, with national and international researchers.
- Excellent written and oral expression skills, including English.
- Solid computer skills.
- Not hold a PhD degree.
4.2. Requirements for Admissibility of the application
The following documents must be annexed to the application, otherwise, admission to the competition will be refused:
- Curriculum Vitae of the candidate;
- Certificates of the academic degrees held, specifying the final classification and, if possible, the classifications obtained in all the courses taken, or, alternatively, a declaration of honour from the candidate stating that he/she has concluded the Bachelor or Master’s degree by the end of the application deadline;
- Motivation Letter,
- Plan for collaboration with CEI-Iscte.
- Letters of recommendation (optional, maximum 2).
To write the application and all the documents associated with it, including the letters of motivation and recommendation, in Portuguese or in English.
5. EVALUATION CRITERIA
The selection methods to be used will be as follows:
- Curriculum evaluation – 40%.
- Previous proven experience in an academic work environment – 40%.
- Evaluation of writing skills and motivation letter – 10%.
- Proficiency in English and knowledge of language(s) – 10%.
If the jury considers it necessary, the best classified candidates may, in a second phase, be invited for an interview. In this second phase, the final classification will be obtained by weighting 60% of the classification from the first phase and 40% from the interview.
The evaluation panel of the applications is composed of the following elements:
- President of the Jury – Doctor Ana Mónica Fonseca, Assistant Professor at Iscte
- Full member – Doctor Luís Nuno Rodrigues, Full Professor at Iscte;
- Full member – Doctor Giulia Daniele, Researcher at CEI-Iscte;
- Substitute Member – Doctor Maria João Vaz, Associate Professor at Iscte.
The evaluation panel shall evaluate the applications in accordance with the evaluation criteria set out in this Notice of Call for Proposals, weighting the assessment elements.
7. DISSEMINATION OF RESULTS
The results of the evaluation will be communicated via e-mail to the e-mail address used by the applicant to send the application/indicated in the application.
8. DEADLINES AND PROCEDURES FOR HEARINGS
After communication of the provisional list of the results of the evaluation, the candidates have a period of 10 working days to make their comments during a prior hearing of interested parties, under the terms of Article 121 and following the Administrative Procedure Code.
The final decision will be issued after the analysis of the statements presented during the prior hearing of interested parties.
9. FELLOWSHIP COMPONENTS
The fellowship holder shall receive a monthly maintenance allowance in accordance with the table in Annex I of the RBI (https://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores), in the amount of 1 199,64€, The grant may also include other components, under the terms set out in Article 18 of the RBI and in the amounts set out in Annex II thereto. Payments to the fellowship holder are made by bank transfer to the account identified by the person concerned.
All grant recipients shall be covered by personal accident insurance for research activities, supported by FCT.
All grant recipients who are not covered by any social protection scheme may exercise their right to social security by joining the voluntary social insurance scheme, under the terms of the Social Security Contributions Code, with Iscte paying the costs resulting from the contributions under the terms and within the limits set forth in article 10 of the EBI.
10. APPLICABLE LAWS AND REGULATIONS
The call is governed by this Opening Notice, by the FCT Research Fellowships’ Regulation, approved by Regulation no. 950/2019, published in the II Series of the DR of 16 December 2019, by the Research Fellowship Holder Statute approved by Law no. 40/2004, of 18 August, as amended, and by all other applicable national and EU legislation.