Until 12 November, applications are open for one (1) Merit Grant for the PhD in International Studies promoted by ESPP-Iscte.
The School of Sociology and Public Policies (ESPP) announces the opening of six (6) Merit Grants for Iscte 3rd Cycle Students, one (1) of which is for the PhD in International Studies.
ABOUT THE GRANT
The grants are intended to support the preparation of research work leading to a doctoral degree, in order to develop the scientific and pedagogical skills of doctoral students.
SUBMISSION OF THE APPLICATION
- The applications and respective support documents are submitted electronically at https://recrutamento.iscte-iul.pt. Applications will be submitted through the Recruitment Platform.
- Applications submitted by other means will not be accepted.
- Each candidate may only submit one application, under penalty of cancellation of all submitted applications.
RECIPIENTS AND CONDITIONS OF ELIGIBILITY
- National and international students who meet the following requirements are eligible for merit scholarships:
- Are enrolled and registered for the first time in the doctoral programme for which they are applying.
- The enrolment in the doctoral programme is on a full-time basis.
- Are in a regime of exclusive dedication.
- In the case of foreign students residing outside the European zone, it is necessary to present proof from the competent legal authorities granting the student a stay permit in Portugal for the purposes of doctoral studies.
- Applicants who are admitted to the PhD programme for which they are applying and have obtained a classification equal or higher than sixteen (16)/20 in at least one of the previous academic degrees (Bachelor or Master) are admitted to the competition for the attribution of merit grants.
- The grant will take the form of a subsidy, to be paid monthly to the grant holder by bank transfer to the grant holder’s bank account, in the amount of EUR 1,104.64.
- In addition to this amount there shall be: i) voluntary social insurance corresponding to the first level, should the candidate opt for it; ii) personal accident insurance; iii) exemption from paying tuition fees.
- In no case are there any food, holiday, Christmas or other allowances not expressly mentioned in the ISCTE- Instituto Universitário de Lisboa 3rd Cycle Student Merit Scholarship Regulations.
- The payment will begin after the applicant returns the duly signed scholarship contract and will be made for the period and according to the terms defined therein.
PERIOD FOR THE SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
The application period will run until 12th November, 2021.
INSTRUCTION OF THE APPLICATION
- The application should be accompanied by the following documents:
- An application addressed to the Evaluation Committee, containing the applicant’s full identification and the indication that he/she intends to apply for a doctoral scholarship. In the application form, the applicant must state his/her consent for communications and notifications within the scope of the present procedure to be sent by email, indicating the respective address.
- Motivation letter.
- Research project proposal and development and execution plan, with objectives and motivation (up to 1500 words).
- Curriculum vitae of the candidate, including the respective professional and academic background, as well as the e-mail address.
- Failure to present the documents required under the terms of this Notice of Call for Applications, presentation after the deadline or presentation of a false document will result in exclusion from the procedure.
- The Evaluation Committees may also request candidates to submit any documents and clarifications deemed necessary to assess the applications.
EVALUATION OF THE APPLICATIONS
- The evaluation and final classification of the applications will be based on the following:
- Evaluation of the Applicant’s Merit (70%).
- Evaluation of the merit and feasibility of the research project and respective development and development and implementation plan (30%).
All evaluation parameters obey a scale of 0 to 20 values.
The evaluation of the Candidate’s merit is based on the following dimensions:
- Documentary analysis of the curriculum (50%)
In the documentary analysis of the curriculum the following elements are weighted: 80% * Evaluation of the academic curriculum + 10% * Evaluation of the scientific curriculum + 10% * Evaluation of the professional curriculum.
- Interview (50%)
The documentary analysis will be complemented by an individual interview that may be held in person or by videoconference.
The evaluation of the Merit and feasibility of the research project and respective development and implementation plan is determined according to the following formula: 20% * Clarity and purpose of the project + 20% * Quality of the state of the art and methodology + 20% * Potential for innovation and relevance to the scientific area + 20% * Work planning and feasibility + 20% * Adequacy of the project to the doctoral programme and the strategic objectives of the research unit.
- The candidates will be ordered according to the weighted average of the classification in the evaluated parameters.
- Candidates who obtain a score of less than 16 (sixteen) in the final evaluation will be excluded.
CONDITIONS FOR THE CONCLUSION OF THE SCHOLARSHIP CONTRACT
The signing of the merit grant contract requires regular enrolment in a Doctoral Programme.
RENEWAL OF THE GRANT
- The fellowship is awarded annually, per academic year, and may be renewed for a maximum period of up to three years after enrolment in the first year of the doctoral programme, dependent upon the Evaluation Committee’s assessment and the School’s budget availability.
- The scholarship holder must submit to the Evaluation Commission, up to 60 days before the beginning of the new scholarship period, a request for renewal of the scholarship.
- Renewal of the scholarship requires
- Approval in all the curricular units of the 1st curricular year (60 ECTS) at the the end of that academic year.
- Approval of the thesis project at the end of the 1st year.
- Submission and approval of the progress report at the end of the 2nd year and of the 3rd year.
- It is also compulsory at the end of the 2nd and 3rd years to submit 1 (one) opinion issued by the supervisor on the monitoring of the grant holder’s work and the assessment of his activities. The supervisor’s assessment shall include the forecast of the grant holder’s compliance with the agreed research project and the convenience of renewing the grant.
- Renewal of the grant does not require the signing of a new contract and is communicated electronically to the grant holder by the doctoral coordinator.
ALTERATION OF THE RESEARCH PROJECT, ADVISOR OR HOST ENTITY
The grant holder may not change the objectives of the proposed research project and the host unit without the agreement of the supervisor and the Scientific Committee of the Doctoral Programme.
GRANT FINAL REPORT
The scholarship holder must submit to the respective doctoral programme coordinator and evaluation committee, within 60 days after the end of the fellowship and in electronic format, a final report of the fellow’s activities that includes the URL addresses of the papers, publications and scientific creations resulting from the activity carried out, accompanied by the supervisor’s opinion on the success of the research project.
CONSTITUTION OF THE EVALUATION COMMITTEE
The Evaluation Committee for the PhD in International Studies is composed of the following members:
- Doctors Luís Nuno Rodrigues, Helena Carvalho and Maria João Vaz;
REFERENCE TO SUPPORT
The Iscte – Lisbon University Institute must be expressly mentioned in all scientific publications arising from the doctoral course during and after the expiry of the grant.
DISSEMINATION OF RESULTS
The results of the evaluation will be disclosed to the applicants by e-mail, to the address provided in the application form, within 30 days after the deadline for the submission of applications.
Learn more about it here (in portuguese).